Do you usually get an answer of “I don’t know/remember” or “Nothing” when you ask your child about their day at school? HOW do you ask about their day? A powerful question will make all the difference when talking with your child about their days away from you! Ditch the “What did you do/learn today at school?” and try questions like these in order to get more meaningful and descriptive answers from your child!
1. Who made you smile today?
2. What new fact did you learn today?
3. What challenged you today?
4. What games did you play at recess?
5. What was the funniest thing that happened today?
6. Did anyone do anything super nice for you?
7. What was the nicest thing you did for someone else?
8. If school were a ride at the fair, which ride would it be? Why?
9. What would you rate your day on a scale of 1 to 10? Why?
10. If one of your classmates could be the teacher for the day who would you want it to be? Why?
11. If you had the chance to be the teacher tomorrow, what would you teach the class?
12. Did anyone push your buttons today? How did that make you feel?
13. Who do you want to make friends with but haven’t yet? Why not?
14. What is your teacher’s most important rule?
15. What is the most popular thing to do at recess?
16. Does your teacher remind you of anyone else you know? How?
17. Tell me something you learned about a friend today.
18. What is one thing you did today that was helpful?
19. When did you feel most proud of yourself today?
20. What rule was the hardest to follow today?
21. What is one thing you hope to learn before the school year is over?
22. Which person in your class is your exact opposite?
23. Which area of your school is the most fun?
24. Which playground skill do you plan to master this year?
25. Does anyone in your class have a hard time following the rules?
26. What is your favourite thing about your teacher? What about your class or your school?
27. What was the favourite part of your day? What made this event so special?
28. If you got to be teacher for today, what would be one thing that you would have done?
29. Did you help anyone today?
30. Who did you play with at recess? What did you do?
*** I did not create these, I’m only sharing because I think they are so incredibly useful!***